Here's how you can transfer your domain name in a few easy steps and renew your domain name for another year at the same time.
The steps to initiate the transfer a domain name
- Login to your account at your current domain Registrar's website
- Click on "My Domains"
- In "Domain Settings, unlock your domain by clicking on "Domain lock" option >> Edit >> Off
- Click on "Transfer domain away" or "Transfer to another Registrar."
- On the next screen, click "Continue with transfer".
- On the next screen, check the box that says "Remove Domain Protection Plan", and hit "Continue".
If your domain has some sort of 'protected registration', you'll need to first cancel it.
- Get an "Authorization code" (also known as an EPP code or transfer key)
- Verify "Contact information." Confirm that the domain's owner's contact information for the domain is accurate. Your old registrar may need to verify the transfer by sending an actionable email to the registered owner's email address.
Note: For the .au domains, the actionable transfer details are sent to the registrant contact's email address.
Complete the following steps at the new Registrar
- Start incoming domain name transfer on your new Registrar's website.
- Enter the domain you want to transfer, and then enter the "Authorisation Code" and complete the transfer order.
Note: Once you have initiated the incoming transfer, it may take a few days to complete. In the meantime, all your Email, Website and other connected services will continue to function as normal. If you want to quickly complete the transfer, check your email box for emails asking you to authorize the transfer. Follow the instructions in that email and then the domain transfer will complete.
Accelerate the domain transfer
Domain Transfers are automatically approved within five days of initiation. You don't have to wait 5 days as you can accelerate your domain transfer by approving its release.
- If your domain is with GoDaddy simply login to their Transfers Page. For other Registrars, go to their Transfer section.
- Click Transfers Out under Transfers.
- Tick the box next to the domain(s) you want to approve for quick release.
- Click Approve Transfer to approve the transfer.
You'll then see a confirmation that your changes were made. Your domain transfer should now complete within 15-30 minutes.
Benefits of transferring a domain to Rocket Domains
By transferring your domain to Rocket Domains you get:
- Great pricing.
- Renewal of your domain for another year
- Free Rocket Cloud DNS - our state of the art premium global DNS giving you lightning fast speed, bullet proof security, and 100% uptime with faster DNS propagation across the globe. Just so you know, GoDaddy gives you a slow legacy DNS service for your domain, and charges $2.99 per month extra for premium DNS. At Rocket Domains, you get Premium DNS for FREE with every domain registration or transfer.
- Your own Mission Control Dashboard
- 1 Click integration with Google Workspace
- Free Email Forwarding (Create professional Email (you@yourdomain)
- Free Website Forwarding (Your Domain will redirect to any website or social media page)
- Free custom parking pages for your domain with on demand traffic stats.
- Free SSL (with hosting)
- Free WordPress set up (with Rocket powered WordPress Hosting on Google Cloud)
- Free Premium Business Listings on USA Directory, London Directory and more (with hosting)
- Premium WordPress SEO plugins (with hosting)
- Premium WordPress Speed, Caching & Security plugins (with hosting)
Common restrictions on transfer of a domain name
It's not usually possible to transfer a domain for a 60-day period in the following instances:
• When you have just registered or transferred a domain
• When you have updated the Registrant Contact's organization in case the domain's owner was an organisation, company etc.
• When you have updated the Registrant Contact's first or last name in case the domain's owner was an individual
• When you have purchased a pre-owned domain on an instalment plan
For more information on domain transfers, please consult ICANN's Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy and our terms & conditions on our website.
Transferring .co.uk, .uk, .ca, .eu, .es, .au, or .se domains
For .uk, and .co.uk domains, you'll need to enter the following code: 1API-DE while initiating a transfer at your current Registrar. The same code will need to be used when ordering a domain transfer at your new Registrar's transfer page.
For .ca, .eu, .es, .au, or .se domains transfer, please contact us for assistance by opening a ticket.
More useful tips for your business